Close Menu
  • Home
  • Featured
  • News
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Security
  • Sports
  • More
    • Agriculture
    • Climate Change
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Health
    • International
    • Law and Order
    • Opinion
    • Videos
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
CONCORD MEDIA
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Featured
  • News
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Security
  • Sports

    Stakeholders call for overhaul of Kano Pillars FC management amid poor NPFL performance

    November 4, 2025

    First Nigerian emerge Speaker of AYDP, dedicated victory to Nigeria’ s leadership – Akerele

    August 21, 2025

    Kano Pillar Club:NUJ  hails  Malikawa’s  fresh role, described it as most suitable 

    July 5, 2025

    Kano Governor renames sports  institute to honour 22 late athletes

    June 29, 2025
  • More
    • Agriculture
    • Climate Change
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Health
    • International
    • Law and Order
    • Opinion
    • Videos
CONCORD MEDIA
Home » CITAD condemns detention of two Nigerians over social media commentary
News

CITAD condemns detention of two Nigerians over social media commentary

EditorBy EditorMarch 13, 202602 Mins Read
CITAD JPG e1727359634512

CITAD condemns detention of two Nigerians over social media commentary

Kola Oyelere Kano

The Centre for Information Technology and Development (CITAD) has condemned the continued detention of two Nigerians, Sani Waspapping and Abubakar Adamu, by the Department of State Services (DSS) over social media comments related to the ongoing conflict in the Middle East.

In a statement dated March 14, 2026 and signed by its Executive Director, Y.Z. Ya’u, the organization expressed deep concern over what it described as a growing pattern of actions targeting individuals for expressing opinions online.

According to CITAD, credible reports indicate that one of the detainees is currently facing prosecution on what the organization described as questionable charges

The group also said it had received reports that several other individuals who expressed critical views about the policies of the United States and Israel had been invited or summoned by the DSS for questioning.

CITAD said such actions raise serious concerns about the protection of freedom of expression in Nigeria, noting that Section 39 of the Constitution guarantees citizens the right to hold opinions and to receive and share information without interference.

The organization argued that criticism of the policies of any government—whether domestic or foreign—falls within the scope of protected speech and should not be criminalized.

CITAD warned that equating criticism of the policies of the United States or Israel with incitement could undermine democratic freedoms and shrink civic space in the country.

It added that such measures risk creating a climate of fear that discourages citizens from freely expressing views on matters of public interest.

The group said it was particularly worried about the implications for digital rights and online civic engagement, stressing that targeting individuals over views expressed on social media could set a troubling precedent for freedom of expression in Nigeria.

CITAD therefore urged the DSS to respect the constitutional rights of citizens and avoid actions that could weaken legally protected freedoms.

The organization also called on Nigerian authorities to ensure that security agencies operate strictly within the bounds of the law and respect the country’s obligations under both the Constitution and international human rights frameworks.

“Nigeria must remain a country where citizens can freely express their opinions without fear of intimidation, harassment, or arbitrary detention,” the statement added.

Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
Previous ArticleWoman declared brain dead revives on way to funeral in India
Next Article Stakeholders meet in Kano over alleged diversion of UNICEF relief materials

Related Posts

Kano Govt records ₦996bn contracts, 867 completed projects, Commissioner

August 16, 2026

Waiya receives crisis communicator award, reaffirms commitment to accurate information

August 13, 2026

Kano intensifies water treatment plants rehabilitation to tackle water scarcity

August 5, 2026

Kano Governor receives FG team ahead of groundbreaking for ₦1.05 trillion light rail project

July 30, 2026

Prof urges FG to replicate Oyo strategy in rescuing abducted schoolchildren in Borno

July 18, 2026

Kano/Jigawa Customs generates ₦63.08bn ini six months, seizes contraband worth ₦1.71bn

July 15, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
Don't Miss

Kano Govt records ₦996bn contracts, 867 completed projects, Commissioner

By EditorAugust 16, 2026

Kano Govt records ₦996bn contracts, 867 completed projects, Commissioner Q Kola Oyelere, Kano The Kano…

Tinubu will secure 70–80% of votes in Kano in 2027, Says Binta Spikiñ

August 16, 2026

Kano OOSC Drops by 113,641 to 875,593, New Survey Reveals

August 14, 2026

Kano Govt unveils out-of-school children survey, seeks stakeholders’ support

August 13, 2026
© 2026 CONCORD MEDIA Developed by: ENGRMKS & CO.
  • Home
  • Privacy Policy

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.