Close Menu
  • Home
  • Featured
  • News
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Security
  • Sports
  • More
    • Agriculture
    • Climate Change
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Health
    • International
    • Law and Order
    • Opinion
    • Videos
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
CONCORD MEDIA
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Featured
  • News
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Security
  • Sports

    Stakeholders call for overhaul of Kano Pillars FC management amid poor NPFL performance

    November 4, 2025

    First Nigerian emerge Speaker of AYDP, dedicated victory to Nigeria’ s leadership – Akerele

    August 21, 2025

    Kano Pillar Club:NUJ  hails  Malikawa’s  fresh role, described it as most suitable 

    July 5, 2025

    Kano Governor renames sports  institute to honour 22 late athletes

    June 29, 2025
  • More
    • Agriculture
    • Climate Change
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Health
    • International
    • Law and Order
    • Opinion
    • Videos
CONCORD MEDIA
Home » Ramadan, limited candidates contest ,contribute to low voter turnout in Kano by- election – REC
Uncategorized

Ramadan, limited candidates contest ,contribute to low voter turnout in Kano by- election – REC

EditorBy EditorFebruary 21, 202603 Mins Read
Concord Media

Ramadan, limited candidates contest contribute to low voter turnout in Kano by- election – REC

Kola Oyelere Kano

The Kano State Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), Abdul Zango, has attributed the low voter turnout recorded in Saturday’s by-election across the state to the ongoing Ramadan fasting period and the nature of the poll, which he described as involving only a few candidates and political parties.

Zango, who spoke with journalists after touring several polling units, expressed satisfaction with the overall conduct of the election, noting that the process had been peaceful and orderly despite reports of low participation in many centres.

According to him, a combination of factors may have discouraged voters from coming out in large numbers.

“First of all, I think the timing, maybe Ramadan,” he explained. “Second, I think the general feeling that this is a very small election involving only two candidates and very few parties. Nine contestants, I think.”

He however hole that the voters may turn out in large numbers in the afternoon ,as the voting progressing

He acknowledged that many polling units recorded low turnout but stressed that the exercise itself had proceeded smoothly, particularly in terms of security arrangements.

“You’ve gone around and seen it for yourself. So far, so good,” Zango said. “As far as security is concerned, you can see for yourselves, no issue.

We really want to appreciate and commend citizens for behaving responsibly. No violence. No threat whatsoever, visible or even invisible. So we are very happy.”

The REC also addressed concerns over the absence of some major opposition parties from the election and allegations reportedly made against the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

“We have not received any accusation or anything,” he said. “That they are not participating is entirely the responsibility of the parties. We don’t decide who participates.

Whoever conducts primary elections, submits and uploads their candidate in line with the guidelines contained in the Electoral Act, is eligible to contest.

That decision is for the parties, and I think it is the parties that will answer that question for you.”

Zango reiterated INEC’s commitment to conducting credible, transparent and peaceful elections, assuring voters and other stakeholders that the commission would continue to strictly adhere to the provisions of the Electoral Act in the discharge of its responsibilities.

Meanwhile,most of polling units visited were low turnout of voters, however there was heavy presence of security operatives, especially,the police , vigilante and well earned military personnel were seen at alert to ensure adequate security of live and property across the two local government areas where the by – election were ongoing as at the time of filling this report

Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
Previous ArticleResidents cheer return of contractors to Kano–Gwarzo–Dayi highway

Related Posts

Ramadan: CITAD distributes food items to journalists in Kano

February 20, 2026

Kano correspondents’ chapel spends N3m on ramadan food, launches cooperative society

February 16, 2026

ICPC Appoints Sheriff Ghali Ibrahim as ACAN Provost

January 30, 2026

Progressive commissioners pledge loyalty to Gov. Yusuf,amid defection claims

January 30, 2026

Former, serving Kano Assembly members welcome Governor Yusuf, 22 lawmakers to APC

January 27, 2026

Dorayi massacre: Police arrest two suspects, including victim’s nephew

January 18, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
Don't Miss

Ramadan, limited candidates contest ,contribute to low voter turnout in Kano by- election – REC

By EditorFebruary 21, 2026

Ramadan, limited candidates contest contribute to low voter turnout in Kano by- election – REC…

Residents cheer return of contractors to Kano–Gwarzo–Dayi highway

February 20, 2026

Ramadan: CITAD distributes food items to journalists in Kano

February 20, 2026

Gov Adeleke reduces public servants work hours for Ramadan, Lent Period

February 19, 2026
© 2026 CONCORD MEDIA
  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • Hisbah security operative arrest Jigawa Commissioner with a married woman in uncompleted building in Kano Kano

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.