The Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Barau I Jibrin, on Wednesday visited Bunkure LGA of Kano State to sympathise with the families of the 16 travellers who were killed in Uromi, Esan North East LGA of Edo State and donated N1 million ,each to the 16 Victims Family.
However, Senator Barau Jibrin who met with the families of the victims, who hailed from Bunkure, Kibiya, Rano and Garko LGAs, at the At-Taqwa Mosque in the Sabon Fegi area of the Bunkure LGA was full of sympathy and sorrow over the Killings of their beloved ones.
The Deputy Senate President, was joined by the Minister of State of Housing and Urban Development, Hon Yusuf Abdullahi Ata, the Managing Director of the North West Development Commission (NWDC), Professor Abdullahi Shehu Ma’aji, and other dignitaries.
Senator Barau reassured the families of the deceased hunters that the perpetrators would be brought to book according to the laws of the land.
In addition to the 14 suspects, he said security agents had nabbed two more persons in connection with the killing of the hunters.
“I’m announcing the donation of N1 million to each of the families of the 16 deceased hunters, totalling N16m, this is nothing but to cushion the effect of the sorrowful condition you find your selves”, he said
The Deputy President of the Senate said he would sponsor a motion on the matter when the Senate resumes later this month.
“I’m here to sympathise with you over the tragic incident that led to the death of 16 of our brothers last Thursday. May Allah grant them Jannatul Firdaus and quicken the recovery of those injured.
“I was worried when the incident happened. I had to call the state governor, security agencies and all stakeholders involved. They swung into action, and so far apart from the 14 people who have been arrested, two more suspects have been nabbed. The state governor, who visited my house in Abuja, has assured me that the state government will support you.
” We will not take it lightly. We will ensure that the culprits are brought to book and face the wrath of the law,” he said.
Speaking on behalf of the families, the Chief Imam of the area, Sheikh Zainul Abidina Auwal, thanked Senator Barau for his efforts in ensuring justice and described him as the leader needed for the country’s development.
In a related development,The NHRC and the Human Rights Civil Society Organizations Advocates in Kano has condemned the grusome killing of 16 Kano indigenes in Uromi in Edo state
The body made this known on Wednesday in Kano during a press conference jointly addressed by
Shehu Abdullahi,State Coordinator,NHRC, Kano Office. and Peter Hassan Tijani,Executive Director,Network for Empowerment & Devt. Initiative
The organisation said”Such
violence not only undermines the trust in our justice system but also violates the fundamental human rights guaranteed by the Nigerian Constitution and international human rights standards
this juncture, we must commend the actions taken by the Federal and governments of Kano and Edo states in taking swift action of issuing press statements that condemn the act and directing the Law Enforcement Agencies to bring the perpetrators to book.
This has significantly reduced the tension of reprisal attacks and restored public confidence that justice will prevail at the end.
We hereby advise that in order to arrive at a just conclusion of the matter, the actors must ensure a transparent and thorough investigation into the incident.
All individuals involved, including those who facilitated or participated in the killings, should be identified and brought to justice in accordance with the law.
The investigation must be impartial and need to involve independent bodies to ensure that it upholds public confidence.accountability and transparency
.